Friday, March 19, 2010

Mushroom Ragu: March 18th 2010

Going to the grocery store is like a personal treasure hunt. I fill my basket with different items sometimes knowing (and sometimes not) what delicious meal will be produced that evening. Does anyone else sneak a peek into what I'm carting along? Do they know what will be on my plate for dinner tonight? I like to think they do. And the when they do their once-over, perhaps they can't help but do a double-take. Yes, this basket is filled with potentially delicious, intoxicating goods that will fill my house with an aroma that Auggie can't even resist. What you see above would be treasures from March 18th. The key to this meal? Look below!
1. dry marsala wine (not sweet!)
2. no button mushrooms, select a variety (I use portabello, porcini, shitake, and cremini)
3. dried porcini mushrooms that are rehydrated for thirty minutes in warm water (save this broth!)
4. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the porcini broth with the chicken broth (not in recipe)
5. salt the onions and garlic liberally
6. The recipe may give you "times" such as 8 minutes for this, 8 minutes for that...each stove is different. Allow the liquids to evaporate before you move to the next step.
Serve with some garlic basil bread, open a glass of Chianti and enjoy your accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment