Monday, July 12, 2010

Pot Pie


Sitting at the community pool last week in 100 degree heat I had a strange craving. Yes, in the heat of summer I was craving fall comfort food. Have no fear, when I got home I started to do my research and came across a few recipes that inspired my version of Chicken Pot Pie. Ina Garten's became my base recipe. I went from there...
Out came my grocery (and new dishes) list and off I went. First stop, Williams Sonoma to purchase a set of four large double handled soup bowls--made of course to withstand baking. Next, I went to Market Street to select the ingredients that will be used to create the pot pie. As always, the initial prep time exceeded how long it should actually take. Nevertheless, it was relatively simple and I expect next time it will be a little bit easier and in the fall...

Chicken Pot Pie--revised
*This recipe makes a lot. If you're cooking for two, only bake two and save the left over filling and puff pastries for the next night. It's a great left over, but it's hard to reheat puff pastry.*

1. used rotisserie chicken- took meat off bones when got home. (Save the bones to make chicken stock out of it!)
2. used one onion (instead of two) and one stalk of celery
3. bought chicken stock, but still added bouillon cubes
4. added only one stick of butter
5. did not use fresh carrots
6. added frozen veggies- green beans, carrots, corn
7. added three russet potatoes, diced, not peeled. These potatoes need to be cooked slightly before added to the filling. I didn't do this, and they were too hard. So cook the potatoes!
8. did not make my own puff pastry, but bought it.
9. baked the pot pie at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment