Wednesday, March 9, 2011

...and to you sister, merci.

"I don't love Paris," she said.  The room gasped and gazed upon her with judgemental eyes... 
Shocked?  Perhaps blasphemous?  I can't help it.  I am not in love with that city. I do, however, have great respect for the city and its historical importance, culinary development and powerful effect.
February marked a seven year anniversary of a phone call that changed my life. 
"You want to go to Paris for $600?"
"....maybe?..."
Okay, maybe I didn't immediately jump to go to Paris.  I was saving for my Roman adventure which was quickly approaching in May.  Plus I was scared.  I hate to fly.  Hate doesn't even begin to cover it.  Flying is my worst fear and my nemesis.  After a few discussions with my roommates and parents I realized I had to fly to Europe in May, I might as well do it now and call it practice. 
I decided to answer with yes.  Yes I will go.  Yes I will fly by myself.  Yes I will meet you in Paris, sister.  What a powerful three letter word.  I didn't realize that I just said yes to empowerment, independence and a life love of travel. 
This weekend marks the anniversary of a trip that has become a milestone in my life. Thank you, JoDee. Thank you for your love of Paris and its inspiring power. It changed my life for the better.


3 comments:

  1. Ah Paris! I loved that trip. Thanks for sending me down memory lane. Has it really been 7 years?? Let's go back soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to Paris with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoDee we do need to go back. Maybe a sister trip? Then the husbands can meet us in Rome? Abi you can come too!!!

    ReplyDelete