Sunday, April 10, 2011

The four hour what?

About three weeks ago Randy handed me a challenge...a food challenge. 
"I want to try the 4 Hour Body and I want you to do it with me.  You know we'll have to change our diet."
"Huh?"
The last thing I want to do is change my way of cooking and eating.  I succumbed to the Atkins craze while I was in college.  The headaches and endless denial of delicious breads, fruits and milk did not outweigh the weight loss I experienced.  Ever since that moment I vowed to myself I would live like the Greeks...enjoy life but never in excess (thank you Dr. Fears). 
After sulking the entire afternoon I agreed to go along.  Now, to get the details you'll have to dive into the book (something I haven't done), but what I have gleaned from Randy's reading is the following:
1)  eat lots of protein...like a lot, to the point that you don't want to see the sight of it  
2)  no milk, sugar, breads, grains, yogurt, fruit
3)  meat, eggs, beans and veggie are king
4)  dry red wine and coffee are encouraged (hooray!)
5)  breakfast is a must
6)  lift a kettle bell a couple of times a week
I took it upon myself to make this new way of eating tasty and delicious.  This diet could easily lead to chicken, spinach and beans with every meal.  Gak.  I simply refuse.  So I set out to find what would work.  After the discovery of many a delicious meal I found out that this way of life would not be too difficult after all.  Plus, a two week trial was my commitment to Randy.
The two weeks ended last week and I didn't really lose weight but I gained some insight.  Breakfast is a must and I like beans and lentils.  Most importantly I was reminded that every once and awhile it's good to reevaluate how you eat and how you are taking care of yourself.  This was a good examination and I was able to tweak our diet for the better.
I have decided going into the fourth week that I will partially partake of this new eating regime. Randy on the other hand has had great success shedding weight (what man doesn't?) and has continued along his 4 Hour path.  I am proud of him for his perseverance.  I'll join Randy for the breakfast and evening sessions but everything in between is to our own choosing. 
Nothing in excess, right?   


No comments:

Post a Comment