Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Secret Garden

When I was a little girl I loved the idea of The Secret Garden.  The movie was mesmerizing and it prompted me to read the book and acquire other stories about a hidden garden among overgrown plants.  I would plant flowers in my backyard and hope for hidden castles at every overgrown spot.  Both ventures were unsuccessful. Little did I know that one day, as an adult, I would find my very own secret garden in my grown-up backyard. 
About this time last year I noticed color erupting from my backyard.  I realized that the previous owner, Mary, was quite the green thumb.  Randy and I however do not have innate skill to nurture plants.  Over the course of the Dallas summer I watched our backyard turn more brown every week.   I was convinced that the roses, peonies, honeysuckle would not survive little watering, excessive heat and no pruning.
Come spring, what do my eyes behold peaking up underneath the piles of dead leaves...color...glorious color!  We didn't kill all our flowers after all.  My childhood dream of discovering a secret garden has once again come true.  My childhood imagination has been reignited, just in time to play with Katherine.







My beloved childhood books that that had something to do with a garden, castle or magic.

The Secret Garden

Mandy

The Enchanted Castle

2 comments:

  1. Peonies are simply my absolute favorite flower! Your's are just glorious!!!! KTG is getting to be so big. She's still as beautiful and happy as ever... kisses from Auntie Abi. Can't wait to play with her in May!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Randy did not pull out those peonies. Rodolfo was just talking about them yesterday. I wonder how mom's are doing in her backyard?

    ReplyDelete