Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sweet Corn Chowder


Summer corn chowder topped with avocado
Ah...summer corn chowder. I can say that this soup does taste like summer because of the sweet flavors of corn, tomato, and poblano. I can also say it feels like summer because of its heaviness. Don't make this expecting a light summer soup...it's still a chowder. However, just like a chowder it is becoming more flavorful everyday. It's a great leftover. With this said, I am making it again and here will be some of my adjustments to make it fit my palette.
1. Cook the bacon for the grease, but will not top the soup with it.
2. Use two Serrano peppers for extra kick (it wasn't spicy enough for me) instead of one jalapeno
3. Use one cup of cream and two cups of milk (skim or 1%)
4. Use more tomatoes
5. Add more allspice (adds a great undertone of flavor)
6. Cook veggies longer, my potatoes needed more than 45 minutes (perhaps I cut them too big)
7. Top, once again, with avocado and lime juice

No comments:

Post a Comment