Thursday, April 29, 2010

Recent Kitchen Success

I know you've been wondering where all the cooking updates have gone. Never fear. Since the first trimester has passed, I've been cooking away with the help of Randy, Auggie and my oh so close unborn daughter. So, here's an update on the most recent kitchen activity.

Chicken and Shrimp Meatloaf
Food52 I love you! This is about the fourth or fifth item I have cooked using http://www.food52.com/. I know the title of the dish may not sound appealing to you all. However, this is a new spin on an old classic. The cooking technique is also unique. I suggest enlisting a helping hand in the kitchen when you make it for the first time. Changes to this recipe:
1. No red peppers (I don't like them)
2. To make more dipping sauce I added Greek Yogurt instead of more mayonnaise.
3. Added cayenne to the sauce to give it an extra kick
Creamy Dijon Chicken and Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
Talk about a perfect dinner on a perfect Saturday evening. This dish was restaurant style, mop up the plate amazing. Randy and I couldn't get over how rich the sauce was and how infused the flavors were on the mashed potatoes. What to love about this dish:
1. The chicken reminds me of chicken with forty cloves of garlic...but it's way easier
2. Heating half and half with a bay leaf and one garlic clove made the mashed potatoes unlike any potato I've ever had. The caramelized onions on top also added to its perfection

Chocolate Dump-It Cake
This has become a yearly tradition at the White House. Not being a huge chocolate (or cake fan) Randy gets an entire chocolate cake all to himself, if someone doesn't stop by to visit, for his birthday. The mood around us almost feels like Christmas. I can't wait to make this delicious homemade cake and icing and Randy can't wait to smell and eat it. I just look forward to the day when I get to make it more than once a year...

No comments:

Post a Comment